Saturday, November 7, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

In the following post I will reflect on questions from the Writing Public Lives regarding the visual elements that I will include in my text.

Erb, Conrad. "Periodic Table Elements Cupcakes" 10/2/2011 via Wikipedia. CC BY-SA 3.0 License. 
How might I vary the fonts used in my project for emphasis, such as in the title and body of my project?
I might try to use different fonts to present the examples and in my commentary on the evidence. I think this would make it distinct what I added and what is evidence.

If my project uses text boxes to break up the text of my argument, do the text boxes effectively draw my audience's attention to the most important points of my argument?
Because I am writing a blog, I might use a text box to include a quote, I think it was called a "pull quote" (but I could be wrong). I think this would help emphasize what I consider to be an important piece of text.

Is the feeling or tone that the image invokes appropriate to the visual rhetorical tone of my argument?
I think I will include pictures in my argument. One example of a picture I for sure want to include is a picture of the "flammable water" I think this will help me in my ethos appeal. So, for me using ethos to appeal to my audience is appropriate because I am trying to get them to care so they are motivated to do something.

Does the image inform or emphasize my argument in an important way, or does it seem superficial or unrelated to my argument?
I think the images I want to include will help my emphasis in an important way because they are showing the audience how serious the issue is.

If you are using design elements such as lines and section headings, do they create clear transitions from each major point in your argument?
Because a blog is made up of many, typically, shorter chunks of text I think the lines between the text will help make clear transitions
.
Scan your public argument or your outline. Do your eyes move easily from section to section in the order that you intended?
I think because I am writing in a blog post with small chunks of text separated with spaces, it will help make it easy for the reader's eyes to navigate.

Reflection: 
After reading Trey and Kyle's posts about the visual elements I realized how important the visual elements can be to the specific genre. Especially because Kyle's style is so different from mine, it was interesting to see how varied the conventions are. He is writing an academic styled paper, and if he used conventions like mine, I think it would hurt his credibility and his argument.

Trey on the other hand has a genre very similar to mine, where short paragraphs and very little visuals are used. I think these conventions are the most effective because anything more ruins the scan-ability of the text.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have a good plan for incorporating visual elements into your project. You are correct that what you are referring to in the second question is a pull quote. I think that the blog post genre gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to image use. You can basically use images as much or as little as necessary following your lead image. My genre is a bit more restricting in that category.

    ReplyDelete