Thursday, August 27, 2015

My Writing Process

Ogez,Emilie. "Procrastination Meter" 7/29/15 via Flickr.
Attribution-NonCommerical-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic Att License. 
1   What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?
I am most definitely a strong procrastinator with almost any kind of work, particularly in English. I am both proud and ashamed to admit how often I was able to turn out an essay quickly.

But I also consider myself to be a sequential composer with some qualities of a heavy reviser. Outlines are a lifesaver in writing for me. And when I do start writing at a reasonable time, I love printing out drafts and marking up the paper, especially with purple and green ink.

2    Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?
My writing process resembles a sequential composer the most. For me, the hardest part of writing is always starting. So I typically skip the introduction and make notes on what I want to put in the body of my composition. I also rely on outlines, where I can jot down different elements as I think of them, and then when I begin to put an essay together I’ve already started the planning.

However, I am also a procrastinator and at times I can be a heavy reviser. I can think of many times where I leave the writing to the very last minute. And it always takes longer than expected.

On essays where I do start early enough to write several drafts, I find I make one draft just to get all my ideas on paper. Then I revise and edit and change. I think sometimes stopping to think about if the wording is awkward interrupts the flow of my writing and I forget what I wanted to say. So I use the revisions to make my writing easier to read once everything has been recorded.

3    Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?
I have had some success in my writing when I take the time to make outlines, and revise copy after copy. A strength in my favor is I really enjoy revising. In my opinion it makes a big difference when you take a break between edits

After saying that, I’m still a big procrastinator and that is a huge weakness to my approach. But I’m writing this, and it’s not Saturday so maybe I am getting better already.

4.     Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?
I would really enjoy trying to write as a heavy planner. I typically try to plan everything in my everyday life and it may transfer to my writing really well. Also, I think it would be more time efficient to write fewer, better drafts than a lot of drafts that need a lot of work.

The structure of this class where we get the assignment way in advance of the due date, would work really well if I can adopt characteristics of a heavy planner. Being able to look at the prompts on like Sunday and then thinking about them for a couple of days before writing would make the Saturday deadlines easier to keep. 

Reflection 
From reading about my classmates’ writing processes, I realized that there are many different processes that can produce successful writing. After reading about the different writing processes, I believed that I could really benefit from including some characteristics of the heavy planners. 

Reading about Brain’s writing process, really emphasized how much planning before writing could help the quality of work.

Also, from Alyssa’s writing process I understand how broad these writing processes are. Both us identified slightly as sequential composers, but in varying ways. I personally rely heavily on outlines, but Alyssa does not.


Overall, I enjoyed seeing how differently my classmates and I are in our writing. I think that many of my classmates use strategies that are incredibly effective and may help improve my own writing. 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post because we are very different writers and it gave me some insight on what other writers experience when they're working on a piece. I've never been too bad of a procrastinator and usually like to start my work in a timely fashion. We're simillar though in that we're both most like a sequential composer and have difficulty with the beginning of papers rather than the body and content portions. I really liked your use of outlines. I think I could really benefit from them as well to help me stay on topic because I have a tendency to veer off a bit when I get really into writing and lose my direction. As for trying the heavy planner approach, I think that could really be to your benefit. I think you would be able to produce much more thoughtful writing versus writing you procrastinated for. I wish you luck with the rest of your technique exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts are honestly the same as mine! I can't help but wait til last minute to write papers or do assignments (did I mention that it's Saturday?). Also, I can't help but also extremely agree with how amazing outlines are! It's not a full draft so my procrastinating side doesn't kick in and think I'm doing actual work. It helps me jot out my ideas and figure out the main points of my body paragraphs. Also, writing an intro is hard for me as well because it has to be the most interesting part of your paper to maintain the audience's interest. Maybe to prevent being a terrible procrastinator as myself, maybe do little parts of your paper in advance. So instead of doing a full out paragraph, do half of it. Then the next day reread it and make sure you still like it, and if you do, continue adding to it. This not only gives you time to think of better ideas, but it doesn't take much of your time and it has sometimes helped for me during research time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jayni!

    It was genuinely interesting reading about your writing style because honestly, I think it's the opposite of mine. And that's fascinating! And while I can't honestly say which of our processes is "better," I have to admit your ability to go through multiple stages of drafting and actually print out drafts, mark them up, and translate your edits back to your digital drawing board is spectacular. And that's cause for jealousy, because that is probably the area of the writing process in which I'm weakest. You voiced a desire to use less drafts and have a more "one-and-done" style (I paraphrased), and speaking from experience, it requires you to be so meticulous before reaching a finished product that I might recommend you just keep doing what you're doing. Iterations are a boon.

    That said, I do think we share a similarity in our writing styles in that we both like to know what we're going to say before we take to the (digital) page. And I strongly believe that's an ingredient for success when it comes to any kind of writing, academic or creative. So keep up with that too!

    Best of luck to you in the coming weeks, and thanks for the read.
    -Mika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jayni,
    I'm commenting from Section 14 of 109H. I have a couple questions for you :)
    1.) Have you found peer editing online to be as helpful as marking up a physical draft? Do you still do this step on your own?
    2.) I see that this post is pretty lengthy. Do you think your efficiency has improved in this class over the last few months?
    3.) Did you feel that the "project development" nature of the blog posts gave you a taste of what it is like to be a heavy planner?
    -Ann Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      1.) The peer editing online was better than I thought because it is just as easy as on a printed copy, and its a neater too. But I think for editing my own paper I still prefer a physical copy, although I do leave comments for myself in Google Docs.

      2.) My efficiency has definitively improved, and I think if I were to write this blog post now, it would be maybe half as long.

      3.) I think the structure of the class gave me a really good idea of what its like to be a heavy planner, and while it helped my writing, I really did not enjoy it. I think just making outlines and cluster maps were more effective, and being a heavy reviser was just a lot of additional work that didn't always transfer into my writing.

      Delete