Saturday, September 19, 2015

Copy for Paragraph Analysis

In the following post I will reflect on my analysis of the paragraphs in my QRG according to the guidelines in the Rules for Writing textbook. I will evaluate how well my paragraph format follows what the book believes is good form.

OpenClipartVectors. " Rating Stars System Evaluation." 9/18/2014 via Pixabay.
CCO Public Domain/ FAQ License. 

I feel like according to the textbook, Rules for Writing, my QRG did a horrible job of adhering to the guidelines. That being said, if the guidelines are tweaked a little for the genre, than I scored fairly well.

For example, the first sentence of the paragraphs is supposed to be a topic sentence that introduces the what the rest of the paragraph will talk about. However, a QRG contains more, shorter blocks of writing, and I jump right into the information. But, I use the subheadings like topic sentence. The title identifies what the following text will talk about, allowing the reader to skim and find the information he or she is looking for.

Developing the main point I found to be quite easy in the blocks of text because of their small size. Most of my paragraphs are no more than three or four sentences, so it is easy to stay on a single topic. Also, having the subheadings makes it easier to stay focused on the subject.

Overall, I think my paragraphs did a great job of staying on topic and being easy to follow, however, I think that the short and concise style of my paragraphs caused them to be rather choppy and not very fluid.

Here is the link to my Copy for Paragraph Analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment