Friday, September 25, 2015

Developing a Research Question

In this blog post I will talk about some of the current debates going on in the field of engineering. From these debates I will create a list of possible research questions about controversies in the engineering world. Finally, from this list I will eventually choose a single topic to research.

Geralt. "Question Problem Think Thinking Reflect." 2/18/2015 via Pixabay.
CCO Public Domain/ FAQ License.  
Controversies of Today for a ChemE.
Some of the major controversies on the radar for Chemical Engineers right now include fracking, a method of obtaining natural gas, climate engineering as a way to counteract global warming, and forensics science.

I am very interested in sustainability, climate change, and the environment, so the debate on fracking and climate engineering are topics I would enjoy investigating further. Some possible research questions that I would enjoy looking into include:

Is climate engineering a feasible way to combat global warming?
Are particulates be a savior or will they cause more damage?
One of my professors this year conducts his research on particulates and clouds as a way to help the environment by opposing the Greenhouse Gas effects. I find the topic very intriguing, because I learned in high school that particulate were actually aiding in the Greenhouse Gas effect. Therefore, I would love to learn if they can really help or if they cause negative effects.

Can fracking help the environment more than harm it?
The type of sustainability that really speaks to me is renewable energy. I also have a very strong dislike of coal burning plants, and I have heard that natural gas is cleaner and more efficient than coal at producing energy. However, if the process by which natural gas is collected, fracking, is more detrimental than it becomes a less favorable option. Because my knowledge on fracking and natural gas is so limited, I would like to learn more about it, to create a reasonable opinion on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment