Friday, September 25, 2015

Reflection on Project 1

In this post I will reflect on my experience building a Quick Reference Guide. I will reflect by answering and discussing the bullet points assigned with the project.

Sherioz. "Reflection Water Canal Mirroring Travel Spain"  9/18/2013 via Pixabay.
 CCO Public Domain/ FAQ License. 

1. What challenges did you face during the Quick Reference Guide Project?
The main challenge I faced while writing the Quick Reference Guide was determining the conventions of a Quick Reference Guide. I am accustomed to writing traditional essays and blog posts, and I find the QRG to be somewhere in between the two. The QRG is supposed to be brief and concise like a blog post, but detailed like an essay. 

Trying to find the balance between these two types of writing was the hardest part of making my QRG. 

2. What successes did you experience on the project?
From this project  I believe that I have learned how to evaluate sources for credibility and motivation. This project really had us focus on seeing how credible the website was before we used the information it provided.

I also think this project taught me how to be concise, but still provide a lot of information about a topic. It helped me keep my paragraphs short and on topic while maintaining a detailed description.

3. What kind of strategies and writing practices did you find useful in your project?
Subheadings, which the class decided was a convention of the genre, I found to be very useful. the subheadings were crucial in keeping the paragraphs short and on topic. I also found the subheadings provided a really easy organizational structure that was easy to write with and easy for the reader to understand.

4. How was the writing process for this project similar to other school writing experiences?
I found this writing process to be similar to the writing process I have used for writing research papers and also for writing blog posts. Because of the research we conducted early in the project, the organization seemed very similar to starting a research essay. However, because the QRG needs to be formatted a certain way and the use of visual aids is very important, the writing processes seemed like a blog post.

5. How was the writing process different to other school writing experiences?
I typically use outlines when writing a paper, and the outline was very unhelpful for this genre. I usually start with a very general outline that includes the main points are going to be. However, the QRG is broken into more sections than the typical essay, the main points just became the different subheadings. Because main ideas became the subheadings it gave the essay its structure, but was not as helpful in giving content than a regular essay.

6. Would any of the skills you practiced in this project be useful in your other coursework? 
I think the most transferable skill I practiced was how to analyze sources. As I continue my education as an engineering student, I know there will be more research papers to write and I think being able to evaluate how credible a source is, is important.

Reflection:
After reading Carter and Mika's reflection on Project 1, I realized I agreed with several of the points they mentioned, that I had not considered before.

When Carter was talking about how this writing style was different to his previous experience he mentioned persuasive essays. Once he mentioned them I realized one of the reasons I found this genre kinda weird to write results from my extensive works in writing persuasive essays. I always used to get in trouble for not choosing a side and sticking with it, so it was difficult to be non-biased in the QRG.

Also, Mike mentioned how the QRG was like writing a literary analysis. The past couple of years I wrote only commentaries about pieces of literature, and I agree the two genres share some similarities. They both require lots of background, and specific examples to make the reader understand the point you are trying to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment