Thursday, October 1, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In this blog post I will be evaluating my own assumptions on cultural implications. I will be focusing on how my personal values and beliefs are connected with the text's culture about fracking.

Bonnybbx. "Mystical Mirror Entwine Fantasy Darkness"
10/1/2014 via Pixabay. CCO Public Domain/ FAQ License. 
What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do we share with the society or culture in which the text was written? Why have they endured? 
One belief I share with the article is that ifan energy source is being chosen for its smaller carbon footprint, the other components still need to ensure that the energy source is more eco-friendly than the last system.

This value has endured because I have some fundamental beliefs about renewable energy being used to replace hydrocarbon based fuels wherever possible.

What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do we not share? Why not?
One belief that I do not share with the culture is that the fight on renewable energy is a political battle favored by one side of the political spectrum. I think that clean energy and the environment are serious issues that need to be addressed by everyone.

If the text is written in a culture distant or different for our own, what social values, beliefs, etc., connect to or reflect our own culture? What social values, beliefs, etc., can we not see in our own culture?
I think the text is written in a culture very similar to mine. The need for a sustainable energy source is common ground and this energy needs to not have negative effects on the environment.

However, for my personal culture I have never had to experience an earthquake or the after math of one. Therefore, I do not believe I share the same concerns about earthquakes with someone who has more of an understanding on the extreme nature of these natural disasters.

If the text is written in our culture but in a different historical time, how have the social values, beliefs, etc., developed or changed over time? 
Because this text was written recently I believe a lot of the values stated in the piece are similar to the beliefs and fears of today.

Reflection 
From reading Alyssa and Kelly's posts, I got a better understanding of how our personal bias or beliefs could impact how we evaluate the source and the author.

Kelly was more similar to me in that she definitely has some prior beliefs on the topic that she is writing about-athletes icing. I identified that my bias was going to negatively impact my evaluation on the source and its author, and I am curious to see if Kelly faces similar challenges and how she meets these obstacles.

However, Alyssa has a more neutral stance towards her controversy and I think that will help in keeping her evaluation focused on the information provided, not how close the information matches her beliefs. 

2 comments:

  1. You seem to have presented your own assumptions in a very clear way so you can have a good understanding on how your own ideas might change the way you analyze your text. After reading your post, I can relate to how you might connect with some ideas of the text but not with others, like how you couldn't relate to earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I really enjoyed reading your assumptions on your issue. You presented your points in a well thought and easy to read manner, and it gave me a clear understanding of your position on the fracking issue. You also did really well in recognizing your own bias towards the issue, but supported that preconception with solid facts.

    Good Job.

    ReplyDelete