Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Draft Thesis Statements

In this post I will list a couple of possible thesis statements for my Rhetorical Analysis. I think if I am able to get my thesis statements to include enough information and specific enough the rest of the project should be relatively easy to develop. Once the thesis is done, I have a very general outline of what information to talk about and in what order to include it.

OpenClipartVectors. "Draft Business Document File Filing Office" 10/5/2015 via Pixabay.
CCO Public Domain/ FAQ License. 
1. In the text, "Why the Scientific Case Against Fracking Keeps Getting Stronger," Chris Mooney uses an interview with Anthony Ingraffea and reoccurring keywords like  "earthquake" to convince his audience of political environmentalists that the science is supporting fracking as harmful to the environment. Even with the bias of the author the, article still manages to provide a convincing argument on the negative effects of fracking.

  • I feel like my "qualifiers" are not very strong, and too specific to write a 3-4 page essay. I think I was able to identify all the pieces of the rhetoric situation and strategies that I will need for my essay, but I could be more specific. 


2. Chris Mooney uses his text, "Why the Scientific Case Against Fracking Keeps Getting Stronger" to convince his audience of right-winged environmentalists that the science is supporting a typically left winged claim. Mooney effectively uses logical claims to show the scientific evidence of his case.

  • I think this thesis might be too broad for the this genre. From the examples, it seems like the theses are very specific and sum up the essay in a couple of sentences and I think mine leaves too much unsaid.
Reflection:
After reading Ayra and Mehruba's thesis sentences I realized that we took a slightly different approach to writing them. Both Ayra and Mehruba used thesis statements that were more broad and did not specifically mention what types of strategies they were using. I suggested to both of them that they name what types of strategies they will be analyzing in their rhetorical analysis. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you in that the first thesis is slightly too specific and would be hard to write a long essay on. I feel like more "qualifiers" could be added into the first thesis to add to what you could talk about in your essay. Overall I think that both of your theses cover all the rhetorical situation requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that your first thesis is too specific and your second one is too broad. Try combining elements of both to make a well-rounded thesis. Both of them seem to meet the requirements though, even though they can be improved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think your first thesis is a lot stronger than your second one. I agree that your second thesis is a little broad, but in the first one you don't seem to have that problem. I agree with the comments above and would consider mixing the two thesis to get a better one that covers the points you make in each one.
    Ayra Sabir

    ReplyDelete