Saturday, October 17, 2015

Reflection on Project 2 Draft

In this post I will

Russill, Nick. "Penguin Reflection" 1/16/2007 via Flickr. CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 License. 
The two drafts that I peer-edited were written by Ayra and Mehruba, and here the respective links for their drafts.

Do you have an identifiable thesis? Does it point to the specific rhetorical strategies you analyze in your essay? 
Yes, I think my thesis is easy to find and understand. I think I successfully mentioning the specific strategies (bias of the author, surprising stats, and credible sources)  I would be analyzing in my rhetorical analysis.

How is your essay organized? Does each paragraph have a specific point which is supported with evidence from the text?
I organized my essay by rhetorical strategy. My first body paragraph focuses on the credibility of the author, the second on the audience, and why a credible source would make the argument more appealing, This is followed with the third which talks about the surprising statistics and the last paragraph will be the conclusion, which has yet to be written.

Did you identify and analyze the five elements of the rhetorical situation?
I think I identified the five elements of the rhetorical situation. The first is the text which is the piece written by Chris Mooney called "Why the Scientific Case Against Fracking Keeps Getting Stronger". The second is the author, and I spent some time talking about Chris Mooney and his background. Thirdly, is the audience and I analyzed who the audience was based on where the text was published. The forth element was the purpose and the fifth was the setting. I think I covered both of these when I talked about the content of the text.

Did you explain how and why certain strategies were employed?
Yes. I talked about how the strategies were implemented, and gave examples on how the strategies were used in the text by quoting from the piece.

Are you thoughtfully using evidence in each paragraph? Is the relevance of the quotes being mentioned?
Yes. I tried to include at least a quote per paragraph to act as evidence for my points. I spent the remainder of the paragraphs explaining how the quote was relevant to the point I was trying to make.

Did you leave your reader wanting more? Has the "so what" question been answered?
I think I answered the "so what" question in my introduction when I pointed out why it would be important for an engineer to be able to evaluate the quality of a source.

No comments:

Post a Comment